Saturday, June 7, 2014

10-mile hike/death march!

Don't point that pole at me!
We hiked the Fern Hollow Trail at White Oak State Park Friday, the same hike we made Memorial Day weekend. Both wearing our backpacks, as before, but oh what a difference two weeks (and some extra weight) made!

The last three miles were terrible! We urged one another on with the thought that we had cold drinks in the truck and lunch (we thought). We had added a bit of weight to our packs, and the temp had gone up quite a bit. The humidity was awful. And to top it off, I discovered when we got back to the truck that the sandwiches Sharon had handed me were still sitting on the counter back home, right where I had laid them.

Two weeks ago after we had walked, I came home and mowed the yard. Yesterday when we came home we showered, climbed into bed but were too tired to even take a nap! We just laid there in our  misery!

Don't burn that bridge!
So when we came to our senses, Sharon was ripping through her backpack, discarding this and that. I had read that you see people doing that all along the Camino. Now I know it's true! I had heard of people who cut off half the handle of their razor to reduce weight. I'm seriously considering that!
Halfway there!

Hopefully it won't be so hot and humid in about 10 days when we take our first steps.  It's currently 61 degrees in Pamplona, where we will start, but that's in part because the sun hasn't come up yet. Forecast is for low 80s. We won't be in a hot, humid forest. We hope!

Takikng a break!
Hard to believe we are now less than a week from wheels up! Our flight time was changed out of Little Rock to Lisbon and it's a much better schedule! Leave Little Rock at 4:10 p.m., fly to Charlotte, two hours layover, then a direct flight to Lisbon, arriving 9:40 a.m. Saturday. That gives us one day to adjust to Lisbon time, environs and drink a couple of espressos and eat some Belem pastries. Mmmmm!

I'm working on being able to update the blog from my iPhone, so bear with me.  If I have the chance, I intend to post a few pictures.  Sharon bought me a couple of extra SD memory cards, so should have plenty of storage. I may take a few!

So, one last week of work, but it's the week of Vacation Bible School. We can do it standing on our heads! And imagine the relief of walking away Friday as VBS comes to a close!  Woo hoo!



1 comment: